Monday, March 7, 2016

Who Cares?

Just two words.  Who cares?

We've all heard them. We've all said them. In some cases, they're used to dismiss something that doesn't seem important. Other times, they're used to express indifference. These words can belittle someone's emotions or put something important on the back burner.

Who cares?

But, these two small words can cause a lot of damage. Don't care about your education, and you will find that you have none. Don't care about your family or friends, and they will stop caring about you. Don't care about politics, and you won't have a country for much longer.

Who cares?

Simply put, you. Or, at least, you should.

One of my professors had a speech that he gave to his students that were being a distraction in his classroom. He would say, "I can't make you pay attention; I can't make you care. But, you will be quiet so that those who want to pay attention can pay attention." His point: your apathy is getting in the way of someone else's passion.

I'm young. I am part of the millennial generation. I have found that most of my peers have become the distraction in the classroom. They have become the very epitome of "who cares." And it breaks my heart.

Obviously, I am passionate about my country, politics included. I try to stay informed and to pay attention. I take my voting responsibility seriously, I volunteer, and I try to help and advise others. I have studied the foundation of America, the men behind the movement, and the intention of the principles in our founding documents. I believe that I understand why our nation is here, why it is great, and how it can be preserved.

But, my peers - and even other generations - have all responded to me in the same way: who cares.

For a long time, I had no answer to that. I would say, "I care." And that would be that. Or, I was so surprised that they didn't care that I couldn't even form a response. I was speechless.

Yet, the more I studied and cared, the more I began to form an argument. I hated hearing "who cares" about my government, about my country, about my future. I was angry that people were so apathetic. I understood that people have different interests and passions, but being willfully ignorant of the policies and persons that run the country seemed ridiculous.

The next time someone said to me "who cares" about politics, I became an accuser. I was scathing; I was harsh. But, I was honest.

So, to everyone that has a "who cares" attitude about my America:

You are what's wrong with the country. You are the reason that we are losing our rights. You have chosen not to know and not to care about what is going on; that's your right. But, to know what is right and not to do it is the most heinous thing that you can do. You claim to believe in our Constitution, you say that you love our Bill of Rights, and you seem to trust that the Founding Fathers knew what they were doing. You want things to stay as close to their intentions as possible. Yet, you do nothing. You allow the Constitution to be redefined, you let our rights be challenged, and you concede to the onslaught. You have no backbone. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

I sound mean, right?

Well, who cares?

Look, I'm not asking you to be a grassroots volunteer or to give up all of free your time. I'm not saying that you should become an activist or a fanatic or - like me - an unread and unimportant blogger.

I am simply saying that the "who cares" attitude that has permeated our society is sickening, and the time has come to grow up. For once, just try to pay attention, try to care, try to see the importance. I think you will appreciate your rights and freedoms more if you were actively participating in preserving them.

Passion is contagious. Next time you feel the urge to say "who cares," join me in saying "I care."

No comments:

Post a Comment