Thursday, November 10, 2016

An Open Letter to the American People

To those celebrating the election results:

I understand you.

You have felt for a long time that you've been given a raw deal - that promises have been made only to be broken. That no one is taking you seriously if they're even listening at all.

You heard something that inspired hope and trust. You followed that.

For the most part, you aren't racists or sexists or bigots of any kind. You simply want to make sure that you can provide for your family. And that your children will be able to provide for their families. You just wanted to safeguared and preserve the American dream - the opportunity to work hard and be able to better yourself.

You may not have loved the candidate. And you may sometimes think that he spends too much time with his foot in his mouth. You don't necessarily agree with him on everything right on down the line - or, at least, not always with how he expresses it.

But, you didn't vote for the man. You didn't elect his personality or his talents or his looks. You elected his principles. The platform that he ran on. Because you found the most common ground with him out of all the choices.

So, you are celebrating a success.

I am, too. I spent fifteen hours out of the house on election day, making sure that my volunteers had everything that they needed and that everything was running smoothly. I was in charge of three different polling locations all day - as well as running around wherever else I was needed. And those fifteen hours don't even begin to describe the time that I put in since July - recruiting volunteers, getting them trained, getting materials together, and so on.

I worked hard for this outcome. I'm pleased that my hard work payed.

Believe me when I say that I understand. Better than just about anyone else, I understand. But, try to be gracious. I know we're all sick of hearing about feelings, but think about how you would have felt if someone else had won. You would have felt hopeless, unheard, and maybe even a little scared.

You certainly wouldn't have wanted people rubbing it in your face about how your candidate was just too awful to win. You wouldn't want to hear over and over again all the reasons that they were a bad person. You would just kind of want to forget about all of it and move on. Let others do the same.

Be the change that you want to see in the world. Be the one to try to mend relationships and work together. Be the one to bring us back together.

To those mourning the election results:

I understand you.

You are afraid. You are uncertain. You have no idea how a man who seems so unstable will be able to successfully lead this country. You can't see how minority groups will ever be safe here again. You don't understand how so many people could have voted for this ideology.

I've been where you are.

I've been afraid that I'll never find a job - even though I am college educated and hard-working. I've been afraid to express my opinions - as a Christian and as a conservative Republican. I've been afraid that I've stopped being important - simply because of my skin color. I've been afraid that I won't be safe - because the world is getting more violent and hate-filled. I've been afraid that I won't be able to defend myself - because a constitutionally-protected right has been threatened.

I know what it's like to live in uncertainty. To live in a country where you disagree with the leadership and you feel powerless to stop it.

I don't want anyone to ever feel that way. It adds more anxiety into an already difficult life.

Although we disagree, you are still people. I still respect you as people. We made different choices this election; that was our right. I don't think any less of you for it.

And I am so thankful that our country is still a place where we can choose who leads us. It's a place where we can disagree. It's a place that still allows us to affect change in the things that we don't like.

We all still woke up in the United States of America - the nation with the most freedom in this entire world. We are all still Americans.

If you are being mistreated, stand up for yourself. If you want to see change, talk about it. That is still your right. And I, for one, am always willing to see how things could be better for all of us.

I say the same to you as I said to the other group: Be the change that you want to see in the world. Be the one to try to mend relationships and work together. Be the one to bring us back together.

To the American people as a whole:

What our nation needs now more than anything is understanding, comradery, and teamwork. Many feel forgotten or unimportant. Many of the underdogs chose the new President, Vice President, Senators, Congressman, and state officials this year. And those choices have made new people feel forgotten or unimportant.

That is not true.

No one is unimportant. And no one has been forgotten.

We all still have the freedom to stand up for what we believe is right. We still have the opportunity to talk to each other and try to understand other points-of-view. We still have the chance to work together to improve the lives of everyone who lives here.

The worst thing that we could do is to belittle the opinions and the feelings of others. The worst thing that we could do is disregard someone else's concerns. The worst thing that we could do is think only of ourselves.

I want to hear what everyone has to say. Because our decisions are only as good as the information they're based on. The more I know, the better I can do.

We need to live by the phrase help me help you.

This reminder goes out to every American: Be the change that you want to see in the world. Be the one to try to mend relationships and work together. Be the one to bring us back together.

No comments:

Post a Comment